Saturday, October 2, 2010

New pcbs! (and pierina miniupdate)

Today in the mail my new pcbs arrived! they are the first I make since 2008. Some photos (note: still shrink wrapped!)
dscn1497.jpg
dscn1498.jpg
dscn1499.jpg
dscn1500.jpg

And here is the motor of the pierina after being colored and reassembled. Please note the rotor passed a night in the brake fluid, was rinsed with soap and water and then dried with a hair drier (set to cold air).
I had to resolder a couple contacts I broke, and the motor runs flawlessly! Kudos to the Fleischmann engineers!
dscn1504.jpg
dscn1505.jpg

Friday, September 3, 2010

Paint for everyone!

The pierina was paintend successfully last wednesday. Sorry no photos for the moment! The next big step is decoloring and painting the metal skeleton of the loco. This is quite a challenge, because I was unable to disassemble the rotor of the motor which remains attached… The (brutal) solution is to put everything in the brake fluid to decolor… After a night in the liquid and a good wash the result is as follows:

dsc02894.jpg

Also, to prevent the metal oxidizing, I carefully dried it with a hair drier set to the minimum warmth (quasi cool).
The motor seems intact and the winding intact. The only problem is that when trying to unmount it I damaged all the soldering, so I will need some patience and a good repair session to make it work again.

I then proceded to cover all the “sensitive” parts so I could spray the primer on it:

dsc02903_2.jpg
Recto
dsc02904.jpg
Verso

And finally I can spray the paint:
dsc02906.jpg

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The 897 Pierina saga continues…

In the last two weeks we saw:

PAINTING

Here we apply the scotch tape to protect the windows from the paint:
dsc02754.jpg

and the the primer is applied:
dsc02760.jpg

A detail:
dsc02764.jpg

Next step is applying the black paint, which for the moment is a big failure…
dsc02782.jpg

TOTAL DISASSEMBLY
Of the chassis mounting al the rods and motor. It is necessary so I can remove the paint and repaint it with the italian “rosso vagone”.
This is a quite unpleasant experience, since everything is fragile and delicate. I started disconnecting the rods, pressure mounted (I’m not sure I will ever be able to remount this…)

dsc02869.jpg
dsc02874.jpg

Next step is unmounting the wheels, still pressure mounted. Two of them mounted the gears which transfer the motion inside the metal body, quite difficult to undo.

dsc02875.jpg
dsc02876.jpg

And finally nothing remains mounted, except some gears and the motor, as I was unable to disassemble it.

dsc02879.jpg

And these are all the pieces:
dsc02886.jpg
dsc02887.jpg

And the final step is melting all the paint with dot-3 brake liquid (everything except the metal body for the moment)
dsc02889.jpg

Friday, August 13, 2010

More Pierina - 2010 Edition

The saga of the GR987 “Pierina” continues!
After a year of halt, I started over with the project. I just had to add some little nasty details before I could paint the loco.
dsc02687.jpg
Making all the little pipes is no fun at all!
The worst part was making the horizontal pipes on both sides. You can see how it is mounted here:
dsc02663.jpg

And a wiew of the other (finished) side:
dsc02673.jpg
And the unfinished side before installing the pipe:
dsc02674.jpg
You can see the almost corrected chimney here:
dsc02677.jpg
This is the pipe while installing: it will be cut to length afterwards being glued.
dsc02679.jpg

The stairs on both sides of the cabin broke time ago, so I glued them back with some reinforcement.
dsc02692.jpg

This is a general view:
dsc02697.jpg
dsc02698.jpg
dsc02699.jpg

And this is the original BR97:
dsc02700.jpg
(pierina in focus)
dsc02701.jpg
dsc02702.jpg
dsc02707.jpg

Monday, March 15, 2010

MIDI Pedalboard!

Many months of silence. Too many exams! This new project comes from a real need of studying organ. Since I always dreamed of having a “real” organ all for me, and since Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ has made a “free” limited demo version of their program, time has come to build my own organ console.
The initial project was to build all, manuals, pedals, electronics and software.
The second revision consisted of just a pedalboard, electronics and software, and use a midi keyboard.
Since time is scarce, I managed to obtain a prebuilt pedalboard.
Since time is really scarce, I decided not to build myself all the electronics, but to use the excellent MIDIbox and make the pcbs myself.
Since… well you know, time is scarce I ordered (excellent) prebuild pcbs and components from http://www.mikes-elektronikseite.de.
Now I just had to build the electronics and modify the pedalboard to install switches for the pedals (todo…)
The first step is building the electronics, which I will document today. After all these months I did not even remembered how to turn on my soldering iron!
These are the PCBs, home made but very nice (almost as nice as the ones I make :-P )
dscn1235.jpg
First I start with the DIN (digital input) module:
dscn1236.jpg
dscn1238.jpg
dscn1243.jpg

Hey! get off of my box you cat!!
dscn1239.jpg
And then is the CORE module:
dscn1246.jpg
Half Built!
dscn1247.jpg
And finished:
dscn1253.jpg
dscn1254.jpg

Next time… first power on and debugging session! then software, then tests… eek!
My many thanks go to Andrea Macinanti and Brondino Vegezzi-Bossi Organ builders for helping me obtain the pedalbard!